Fort-de-France at English => English (The Britannica Concise) Of Explained:
City (pop., 1995: 104,000), capital of Martinique, West Indies. Located on the island's W coast, it was formerly called Fort-Royal, and has been Martinique's capital since 1680. Until 1918, when its commercial growth began, it had an inadequate water supply, was partly surrounded by swamps, and was notorious for yellow fever; the swamps have since been drained. It is the French West Indies' largest town, chief port, and busiest commercial center and has long sheltered the French fleet in the West Indies. Sugarcane, cacao, and rum are exported.